OFBJP UK Team led by its President Shri Lalubhai Parekh called upon Hon. Shri Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Railways, Govt. of India at St. James’s Hotel in Central London.
Shri Prabhu , who is currently visiting United Kingdom on an invitation from senior UK government ministers – minister for government policy in the Cabinet Office Oliver Letwin and transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin apprised the team about his visit and engagements at 10, Downing street and London Stock Exchange with Senior financial figures as well as UK government.
He advised how the rare initiative gave him the opportunity to highlight ways through which international investors and British government can partner in the series of reforms being launched to advance India’s lifeline that Indian Railways has come to be known as.
An accomplished Chartered Accountant by profession,a climate champion and a highly respected Parliamentarian, he has been assigned one of the most significant portfolios within Hon. Prime Minister Modi’s cabinet.
Hon. Minister took questions from OFBJP team while touching upon the series of measures embarked upon by his ministry, with a focus on improving not just the safety, security,cleanliness and quality of travel but also by being a key participant in the Swachh bharat,Make in India,Startup India and Digital India campaigns launched by Hon. Prime Minister.
Some of the key initiatives announced under him to modernise Indian Railways are (but not limited to):
- e-catering facility launched by Railways, to be available in over 1500 trains and 45 major stations.
- All tendering and hiring made completely transparent through initiatives such as e-bidding and pilot scheme to conduct online recruitment exams.
- Plan to modernise 400 stations under Public private partnership with complete transparency
- Drawing an investment of USD 25 Billion on a very low interest rate from LIC India
- 7000 old toilets on trains to be replaced by Bio toilets
- CCTV cameras to be installed in selected trains
- 24/7 toll free numbers being launched for helpline and security
- 4 Railway Research Centres to be introduced
- Train Collision Detection systems to be introduced on a selected trains to start with
- Advance booking of Wheelchair facility to be rolled out for Disabled Passengers & Senior Citizens
- Push for better connectivity with Jammu & Kashmir and North Eastern States
Finally we would like to wish Shri Prabhu, all the best on commendable work his ministry and colleagues from other ministries are carrying out, under the able guidance of Hon. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.